I spent more than an hour this week reliving our honeymoon in Greece through photos (and daydreaming about going back), and while I can’t bring you there, I can share with you a new recipe for Greek Grilled Chicken and a fresh Greek Salad to go with it. Both are great for a nice summer night and are delicious, easy to make and pretty healthy. Check out the recipe below and let me know what you think!
Greek Grilled Chicken
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon zest or 1/4 tsp. dried lemon zest (or use a little more lemon juice if you don’t have lemon zest)
- 1 tsp. Greek Seasoning
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- black pepper to taste
- Trim all visible fat from chicken breasts, make small crosswise slits about 1/2 inch apart down the length of each chicken breast to help the marinade penetrate the meat. Put chicken in single layer in Ziploc bag.
- Combine marinade ingredients and pour over chicken. Marinate in refrigerator 6-8 hours or more.
- Preheat grill to medium-hot and grill chicken 20-25 minutes, or until well browned and firm but not hard to the touch.
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large plum tomatoes, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cucumber, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded, coarsely chopped (I didn’t have these but would add next time)
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives (more if you love them as much as me!)
- A heaping half cup crumbled feta cheese (I used reduced-fat)
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, vinegar, oregano and dill weed together until blended. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. (Can be prepared 3 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewhisk before using.)
- Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, bell pepper, olives in a bowl. Toss with dressing. Sprinkle cheese over and serve.