This holiday season, I’ve been experimenting with new recipes, and yesterday on Christmas I tried out a new recipe for brussel sprouts. The recipe was inspired by a recipe I found on Clean & Delicious, and the best part about it is how easy it is! It takes less than 10 minutes and requires only six ingredients – brussel sprouts, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper – most of which I already had at home. For the holidays I also added butter, but it’s not necessary if you want to keep the meal a bit healthier. Try out the recipe below and enjoy!
- 1 lb. of brussel sprouts, stemmed and quartered
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (and/or 1 tbsp butter)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place brussel sprouts in a steamer basket and cook for 5-6 minutes or until they are al dente (tender on the outside but firm in the middle).
- Toss brussel sprouts with garlic, lemon and olive oil. You can also add in or substitute the olive oil with butter.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy! Serves 4 as a side dish.
Nutrients per 1/4 of the recipe: Calories: 82; Total Fat: 3.8g; Saturated Fat: 0.6g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Carbohydrate: 11.6g; Dietary Fiber: 4.4g; Sugars: 3.2g; Protein: 3.9g